Tuesday 10 July 2012

88 Hours Below the Surface (Sci-Fi Story)


       I woke up to a warm, yellow glow through my window. I get up and start to get myself ready for another day in the mine. I grab my helmet and extractor and step out the door. I stand there for a moment admiring the amazing view. Saturn`s rings. I can`t get over waking up every morning and seeing that magnificent view. Back on earth all we had was a pure blue sky. After a minute or 2 I snap myself out of my trance. I head off to the Saturn shuttle or the SS. I take the SS every day from the Auir sector where I live, to the Omega quadrant where the mine is. The days on Saturn are 44 hours long so when I'm on the SS it is a good time to catch up on sleep after my 34 hour shift at the mine.
      Once I get to the SS station I put my eye up to the identification machine. A piercing green light shoots out and scans my eye. A robotic female voice comes on, “access granted, Jeremy Samcraw”. The metal door slides open with a hiss and I step through. The shuttle should be here any moment. I go over and sit on a bench under a large holographic billboard with “happy new years, 3014!” written on it. I completely forgot it was new years! We don’t really celebrate new years on mars because the years are much longer. Suddenly, the floor starts to vibrate and slowly turns into a rumbling shake. In moments, the shuttle swiftly glides into the station. People stampede off as the doors retract. As the night shift mines pile off, the day time miners head for the doors I take my seat and the shuttle rumbles to life and we take off. Looking out the window I can see the people slowly turn to the size of ants.
    I drift off to sleep in my comfy shuttle seat. When I wake up I hear the robotic female voice again. “Prepare to arrive at the Omega quadrant station.” The doors swish open. I quickly race ahead of the other miners and head towards the Tarazine mine. Tarazine is a very precious resource that can only be found close to the core of Saturn. When exposed to massive amounts of pressure tarazine can produce an unlimited supply of oxygen and energy. It is very valuable and may be the answer to our now disgusting and polluted earth. Saturn is already being run on tarazine power. That is how we can breathe on the surface of Saturn. Once I get to the mine entrance I see my 2 co-miners Jim and Brock. Once I meet up with them we all suit up in our tarazine powered cooling suits we head towards the mine elevator. Without these cooling suits we would get fried by the intense heat of Saturn core.
     We must go down 8000m below the surface to find the tarazine. Tarazine crystals can only develop under very hot temperatures. We all step into the rusty old elevator. I click the down button and it slowly creaks down the shaft. As we descend farther and farther we can start to see the purple glow of the tarazine come up the elevator shaft. Once we get there we realize the other miners have already finished their shift. We all take out our extractors and start breaking off pieces of crystal and loading through the suction shoot that brings them up to the surface.
      Hours later rocks from the roof start to fall and we hear faint sounds of explosions high above us. Suddenly, a large portal opens in the middle of our mining area and 3 slimy turquoise aliens walk out. These aliens are a race called the Protoss from the planet Char.  The Protoss are always trying to steal our precious tarazine. They simultaneously turn towards the 3 of us and start speaking in a strange hissing like language. We don’t know what it means but Jim Brock and I start to climb over the mountain of purple crystal behind us. We know the Protoss are now physically strong so when we reach the other side we all think we are safe.
     Seconds after we sit on the ground to catch our breath, we hear the charging rev of the Protoss photon cannon. I quickly take cover behind a rock just as a rain of purple shards of crystal shoots out in every direction. I peak around the edge of the rock and see my 2 best friends Jim and Brock lying face down on the rocky floor. There are gaping rips in their suits from the flying shards and sharp pieces of crystal penetrating their skin. I know immediately that they are dead. The Protoss may be physically weak but their weapons are destructive. Through the new tunnel the aliens made through the 40ft high mountain of tarazine I could see the aliens start walking towards me. I had to think fast. I swiftly pull my extractor off my back. I aim it at the rocks above where the aliens made the hole through the giant glowing purple mountain.
      Hopefully the extremely powerful laser we use for mining will be enough to break the rocks and cover up the opening. I slowly pull the trigger and a small flash of green light shoots out of the end of my extractor. Just as I planed the rocks from the roof come crashing to the ground and cover the opening. The aliens won’t have the physical strength to move those rocks. And I know from my alien invasion course that is mandatory to take that a photon cannon take at least 24 hours to recharge.  This gives me some time to find a way out.
     I see one of the air ventilation shafts leading up to the surface in the ceiling but it is much too small to climb through. After 2 hours of searching for a way out I give up. I slouch against a rock and decide to get some sleep. I am abruptly woken up by the humming of the photon cannon. I know immediately to go and hide behind the same large boulder. I sit for a few seconds waiting for the blast. As expected, rocks explode in every direction and the small area I am in starts to fill will dust. As the dust clears, I can see that the aliens are only about 20ft away. I pick up 3 large rocks and plan to throw them at the imposters. If I can knock the plasma rifles out of their hands I can make a run for the elevator. They will never be able to catch me.
       I stand up and throw the rock at the first alien. The rock hits it in the head and knocks it to the ground. I throw the other 2 rocks at the second and third alien and their guns slide across the rocky ground. I know this is my chance I make a direct run for the elevator. When I step in the elevator and hit the up button a grin of success crosses my face. But just as I start to ascend I see that one of the aliens has picked up its unconscious friends gun and is aiming it at the elevator shaft. I jump out of the elevator just as a bolt of orange light hits the elevator cable and snaps it like a twig. The elevator plummets to the lower mining levels. “Now I’m doomed,” I think to myself. But just as I give up on myself I realize the giant shining portal in front of me. I get to my feet and run straight through it. I immediately feel a tugging pull and then a swirling sensation.
     When the spinning stops I open my eyes and I realize I'm back on the surface near the mine entrance. I spot the large machine used to generate the portal. I quickly shoot it with the extractor’s laser. Sparks start to fly from it then smoke pours out of the cracks. The portal closes and I know that the aliens are now trapped down in the mine until they die. I wide grin spreads across my face. I head towards the SS station to head home thinking to myself, “Just another day in the mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment